Search This Blog:

11.09.2011

Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Review


Several months ago I tried upgrading from my trusty Logitech MX-518 to a Razer Imperator mouse.  I like the feel of the Razer, but it just wasn't the same as the 518, and I didn't feel the Imperiator at $100 was really that much better than the 518 (or it's replacement the G500) at around $50.  I ended up taking the Razer back and sticking with the Logitech.

I was still considering a move up from the Logitech. While looking at some of the options I remembered that I had had played with a Cyborg R.A.T. 9 during PAX East 2011. I kind of liked the concept, but didn't really have time during a crowded booth demo to really get a feel for all the adjustments on the mouse.  Last weekend I bit the bullet and got myself a R.A.T. 7.

Form




The R.A.T. mice come in several models from 3-9, the numbers of buttons and adjustments available increase with the higher models.  I picked the 7, because I really don't need the wireless capability of the 9,
and I really don't use much more than 3-5 buttons.  

The RAT7 has a good feel in your hand.  It's weighty, but not too heavy if you remove the extra weights. I think the best way to summarize this whole mouse is that it feels solid. The glides on the bottom are very nice, so even though it may be a medium to heavy mouse, it slides across the desk like it's been buttered.  

The mouse has a braided very flexible and very long cable.  No issues there.  The front two buttons have the low wide profile you see on most gaming mice.  They are very quick, responsive, and a little clicky.

The RAT7 looks scary at first, but I urge you before you judge by it's robotic look, put your hand on it.  It just feels great. The plastic has a silky finish, almost like suede.  The open areas are all spots where your hand doesn't touch, so while they look weird, they don't affect the feel of the mouse on your palm.  

Customization  
The RAT may feel a little odd the first time you play with it, but you have to start customizing it to really get it just how you like it.  The RAT7 ships with 3 palm rests, a tall and short normal rest, and a short rest with a textured top.  



The palm rest clips to a sliding rail.  You can squeeze a small trigger on the side to adjust it forward or back to fit your hand.  


The RA7 includes 3 pinkie rests, one that features a guard/glide to keep your finger off the desk, and two normal shaped ones (one smooth, one textured).  These are removable using an allen wrench tool that is stored in the back of the mouse. 
 


 You can also adjust the thumb buttons section of the mouse forward or backward using this tool so that the sniper and thumb buttons are always comfortable.  If you don't like the weight of the mouse, you can add or remove weights from a small canister stored in the core of the mouse. 




Sensitivity
The RAT is a laser mouse with very high DPI.  You can argue which mouse has the highest DPI, but there isn't much point in that. Most players tune it somewhere between high and medium and leave it there.  The RAT has a sensitivity toggle behind the wheel.  There are small LED's built into the ridge near the left button to show you the current setting.  If you want to tune the settings, you can change them in the software to different thresholds.  In the software you can also download or design game profiles. Once saved you can toggle profiles using a button up near the left button.
There is a handy red sniper button under your thumbtip.  Holding this button reduces your set DPI by a percentage to allow find adjustments while precision shooting.  I set mine to drop my DPI to 25% of it's normal setting.  I've been using this feature in Monday Night Combat to adjust my aim using the Gunner's deployed mode.  

So far I'm loving this mouse, like the feel, like the features.  The software is easy to use, and the mouse will work fine w/o it.  The accessories are nice.  I only have 2 gripes thus far.
1.  I sometimes feel like the mouse is tipsy from front to back.  When I put weight on the palm rest, sometimes I feel like I'm tipping the front of the mouse up.  I'm going to experiment with the weights and how far back the rest is sitting and see if that helps.  It may just be I'm not used to it yet.  
2.  I wish it came with a little travel case or bag.  I love this mouse and  wish it had a little tin or something to carry it in my laptop bag.  The box for the accessories is nice, maybe they should include space in there for the mouse too.



No comments:

Post a Comment