Search This Blog:

1.22.2010

Top Game Picks for Laptops with !*%@ Intel Integrated Graphics

You may have noticed a trend in my recent posts. I’ve been benchmarking a lot of games using the built-in Intel graphics on my Toshiba laptop. PAX East is coming up in about 60 days, and I’m trying to find a good selection of games that I can actually play on the limited graphics of the “average” laptop. I plan to use this post to keep a running list of some of my favorite games that will run on integrated graphics chipsets.

My test system:
Toshiba Satellite L505. Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM, Win 7 32-bit. Intel Media Graphics Accelerator 4500MHD.

The List thus far: (check back as I’ll be updating this post)

Torchlight – This game is what would happen if Diablo and World of Warcraft had a single player baby. Runs great and looks great on anemic graphics hardware. Cheap at only $20. Can play from the hard drive w/o the need for disc checks.

Sid Meier’s Pirates – Simple but fun game, very open ended. You can play for a few minutes or hours at a time.

Half-Life 2 - Works great with most settings on high. HL2 Lost Cost, Ep. 1 & 2 have some changes to the graphics engine and may not play as well. But HL2 and HL2 Multiplayer seem to work fine.

Geometry Wars - Works fine, joypad or external mouse recommended. You may need to fiddle with the resolution a bit to get this to be smooth.

World of Goo - A great little puzzle game for the price. Will run on almost any graphics hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment