Search This Blog:

2.24.2009

Mirror's Edge (PC) with Xbox360 Controller for Windows

I picked up Mirror's Edge for Windows about a week ago and have been playing through it.
I got a little frustrated trying to do some of the tougher spots using keyboard and mouse, so I decided to go ahead and pick up an Xbox 360 controller for Windows. I was wanting one anyway for a few emulators and platformers I have anyway.

I thought I'd relay the following things that I learned:

Mirror's Edge doesn't state game pad support anywhere on the packaging. It's not certified with the "Games for Windows" mark, which usually tells if a game supports the 360 pad. I wasn't sure it would work with the controller at all, but figured it was worth a try. I found that if you start the game with a 360 controller connected, the game detects it and automatically sets it up for you. All the menus gain additional icons that show the correct buttons for "accept" and "back". The Controls menu gets a new option that allows you to choose the 360 controller layout from 3 profiles. I did not find an option to completely customize the buttons. The 360 controller works great, and it really helped me get through some parts where you need to chain a series of buttons together to make a jump. I still find myself reaching for the mouse for some of the sniping / shooting sequences, but the controller is great the rest of the time.

Any Microsoft Xbox 360 wired controller will work with Windows, (not just the ones in the 360 Controller for Windows packaging) you just have to download the drivers. I got mine for cheap from a Disc Replay store. Someone had traded it in for wireless controllers.

Some 3rd Party Xbox360 controllers will work with the Microsoft 360 controller drivers. Check the manufacturer's site first. I know MadCatz will work, they have info on their site about using the MS driver.

On my Windows Vista SP1 machine, no driver download was needed. The controller just detected and started working. I'm not sure if Windows already had the driver, or if it pulled it from Windows Update.

Xbox 360 Wirless controllers are not Bluetooth, if you want to use one with Windows, you have to buy a special Wireless kit that includes a USB radio receiver dongle.

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the tip its gonna be alot easier playing now lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I appreciate the fact that you took the time to relay this information. Gonna pick up the game now.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I appreciate the fact that you took the time to relay this information. Gonna pick up the game now.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! mirrors edge just went on sale on steam for 5 bucks and I didn't think I'd want it without 360 controller compatibility. This sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the information. Really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the warning! I am an avid xbox360 player so it is really nice when pc games work with the controller.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the info. Like Miles, I really enjoy it when you can play a PC game with a controller. I picked up Mirror's Edge off of Steam, mostly because it was only $4.99, but also because I remember playing on the PS3, but, I forgot to see if it had any form of controller support.

    ReplyDelete