Search This Blog:

8.13.2008

Flip Video Ultra vs HDV178 Comparison Video

I've been working on short video clips for fun lately. The group I volunteer with at my church took notice and expressed an interest in getting a flash based camera similar to the Jazz Elite HDV178 I've been using. I steered them towards the Pure Digital Flip Ultra. We picked the Ultra because of it's more solid "candybar" style construction seemed more durable for use by the Middle School Students, and the onboard software will allow novices to use the camera without having to drag around driver discs and learn new editing software.

While I had access to both cameras, I took the opportunity to perform a somewhat unscientific test with them. I strapped the two cameras together with a rubber band and tried to align the lenses.
I then went outside and shot the same test clip using both cameras at once. I tried to roughly sync the footage using a sound cue. I then combined the resulting files in Vegas Pro 8. I've uploaded the comparison file to Revver. Now keep in mind that because I'm using a flash based site to showcase the video there is some degradation in quality when they compress the video, this comparison should mainly give you an idea of color saturation, contrast, and default aspect ratio.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like the Jazz is much better! Did you steer them back to the jazz! lol. I am glad you posted this. I was trying to decide between the 2. I am wondering if you are happy with the sound quality of the jazz. I have heard a few complaints and have wondered if The Flip has better sound quality. But, I am not sure what the complainers were testing it against. Please let me know your opinion ASAP...I plan on buying 1 tommorrow! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I'd say the audio quality on both is less than stellar. I mean we're talking about $100 camcorders. So...they sound ok, but you're not going to direct an Oscar winner on these.

    ReplyDelete