Search This Blog:

5.03.2008

Homebrew Bubble Solution

This summer we've been taking Marie outside to play with bubbles a lot. She's a bit obsessed with them, so Daddy's been doing a lot of Googling for fun bubble stuff.
I've been working on homemade bubble formulas that a little better than the store bought stuff.

I just finished brewing my second batch of bubble mix. I'm trying to get good performance with minimal ingredients and extra steps. I know there are better mixes than mine, that use several types of soap and incorporate various lubricants, surfactants, and whatnot. This is just a general purpose solution for when you need a LOT of decent quality bubble mix.

MacroGeek's General Purpose DIY Big Bubble Recipe v1.2:
  • 1/2 Cup Dawn Ultra Concentrated, original scent (avoid the stuff with extra bleach, scents, or microbeads)
  • 1 Tablespoon Glycerine (ask a pharmacist to get it for you)
  • 1 Tablespoon Equate Personal Lubricant (Wal-Mart's generic KY Jelly)
1. Mix these and simmer in a saucepan to cook off the purfume & alcohol in the soap and to thin the Glycerine & Lubricant. Low heat for say 5-10 minutes.
2. Pour this into a clean 2 liter bottle and then fill most of the way up with clean tap water. (I've balanced the quantities in this recipe out to make 2L so that you don't have to measure the water)
3. Shake the bottle well until the lubricant and Glycerine begin to mix into the water, then uncap and leave in your garage overnight. This helps get the remainder of any alcohol or scents evaporated out.

So far this has worked great for small bubbles, our bubble machine, and medium sized hoop style wands. I'm still testing it with my big 3' string blower, so when I do that, I'm usually cutting this mix 50/50 with Super Miracle Bubbles store bought solution. This seems to give that stuff the extra kick to make really big bubbles that seal before popping.

No comments:

Post a Comment